Trees generally have a single trunk, are self supporting and are over 6 metres tall.
Trees have multiple benefits in a garden:
- Provide the structure or bones for the overall garden
- Provide habitat for birds, lizards and insects
- Assist in stabilising the soil
- Tie up carbon, and consume it when growing
- Provide shelter and shade
- Provide food for people and animals as well as sustainable timber products
- Slow down dust and air particulates
- Provide privacy and a sense of security and enclosure
- Have multiple forms and textures, along with colour
- Change with the seasons creating continuing interest
- Reduce water runoff
The general rule in garden design is 'if you have an existing tree, try to keep it!'
Click on the index on the left of this page to access some of our favourite trees.