Growing waratahs in pots
• Select a pot or tub 2-3 times larger than the existing pot and with excellent drainage holes in the base.
• Fill the pot with a layer of orchid mix at the base then top up with standard free draining commercial potting mix that has no added fertiliser. Do not use garden soil.
• Plant the waratahs into the potting mix so that the base of the stem is level with the top of the mix. Sprinkle some slow release native fertiliser over the surface and water in well.
• Place the pot on a stand in dappled shade, protected from the westerly sun and westerly wind.
• Water daily in summer and during hot windy weather and once every three days in winter (depending on rainfall). Pots should not get too wet or dry out.