The University of Newcastle is offering a free online short course in natural history illustration, starting 4 March 2020.
The six week course covers:
- Core scientific observational skills
- Field drawing and sketching techniques
- Concept sketch development
- Composition for natural history illustration
- Form, proportion and structure essentials
- Drawing and rendering techniques.
Taught by staff from the Bachelor of Natural History Illustration program, it aims to help people learn how to see and draw nature like an illustrator and build observational and visual interpretation skills in an interactive and enjoyable way.
There is an option to pay US$49 to complete the assessment and receive a certificate.
APS members Liz Aitken and Leonie Hogue completed the course in 2019 and recommend it.
See more information, including a short video from the teaching staff: here: